Public Works - City of Aumsville Home Page

Go to content

Main menu:

Public Works


Annual Drinking Water Quality Report For 2018
Monitoring period January 1, 2018to December 31, 2018

Aumsville Water Master Plan

Aumsville Parks Master Plan

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I report a drainage problem?
A drainage problem involving public streets, storm sewers or drainage ditches should be reported to the Public Works Department at (503) 749-1185. If the drainage problem is on private property the Engineer will give assistance and advice to the property owner on how it could be corrected. The responsibility to do the correction is that of the property owner. For assistance from the City Engineer contact the telephone number above.

2. How do I report a problem with the sewer system?
Problems with the sanitary sewer system (the system conveying waste water from homes, businesses, and industries) and also the storm sewer system (surface drainage water) should be reported to the Public Works Department. Property owners should determine if the problem is with the public system and not the private service from the building to the street. If the problem is only with one fixture (sink or toilet), it is likely that the problem is in the private system and you should contact a plumber. If there is a problem with the entire building or home you should check with adjacent buildings to see if they too are having problems. If more than one building is having problems, then the City system is the likely culprit.

3. How do I report a street maintenance problem?

Maintenance problems on City streets are reported to the Public Works Maintenance Division.  Problems on County roads should be reported to Marion County Department of Public Works and problems on State and Federal roads are reported to the Oregon Department of Transportation.

4. How do I report a traffic signal problem?
At this time Aumsville only has a caution/stop flashing light located at the intersection of Mill Creek Road and 11th Street. Traffic signal problems should be reported to the Public Works Department. They will determine whether the signal responsibility is that of the State, County or City then notify the proper agency in order to have the problem corrected.

5. How do I report a water main break?
Water Main breaks can be reported by dialing 9-1-1. They will contact the appropriate maintenance personnel. If it is a suspected leak or minor problem a citizen can report it directly to the Public Works Department at (503) 749-1185. The City will investigate the problem and determine if there is a leak in either the public or private service line to the building. If there is a leak in the private service line, the City will notify the property owner to correct the problem. If the leak is in the City system, the City will have it repaired.

6. What do I do about frozen water pipes?
If you are the only property that is out of water because of a frozen service line, it is your responsibility to contact your plumber to have the problem corrected. If more than one property is out of water, it may be a problem with the City system and you should contact the Sewer & Water Department.

7. How do I find out about any new road construction in my neighborhood?
The City regularly reviews and updates the Aumsville Visioning Plan for capital improvements. This is a planning document which helps keep citizens informed of needed and scheduled projects. Typically, only those projects within the first one or two years will be constructed within that time frame. Some projects are undertaken in response to a specific development proposal that the City had not anticipated.  To find out about the Visioning Plan or a specific project under construction, contact Public Works.

Trees, Weeds, Erosion Control

1. How do I report a property with overgrown weeds?
Weeds must be cut before they are 10 inches or higher unless they are in agricultural areas or natural preserves. The property owner will receive written notice ten days before the City orders the weeds to be cut. If the owner does not cut them, the City will have them cut at the owner's expense. To report a property with high weeds, call the Aumsville Police Department at (503) 749-2188.

2. What is the City's procedure on dead or diseased trees?
In interest of maintaining a healthy Community forest and protecting citizens from potential injury, the City requires the timely removal of trees affected by Dutch elm disease, oak wilt or those deemed hazardous. The City will remove diseased or hazardous trees located in the right-of-way. If the tree is on private property, the City will notify the property owners of the problem by certified mail. The property owner will have 20 days to alleviate the problem.

3. What is the City's procedure on erosion control?

Each property owner in the City is responsible for making certain that dirt is not washed from their property into the public street, drainage system or lake system. If the property has vegetation, erosion typically is not a problem. However, when sites are under construction some erosion will occur and the property owner is responsible for taking measures to contain sediment on the property. To report erosion control problems, call the Public Works Department.


1. Does the City have any guidelines about fertilizer use?
Yes. In an effort to protect water quality in our lakes, streams and wetlands, the City has placed a high priority on educating the public about the use of fertilizers. In addition, the City has adopted an ordinance that regulates the use of fertilizer and pesticides. Under City ordinance: Fertilizer may not be applied on hard surfaces.
You may not apply fertilizer or pesticides near wetlands or waterways; Commercial fertilizer applicators must be licensed to work in Aumsville. They, along with businesses which use fertilizer, must use phosphorus-free fertilizer. Exemptions may be obtained for newly established lawns or those for which a soil test has shown that phosphorus is in need. Commercial applicators may not apply fertilizer on frozen ground or when other conditions exist which promote or create run-off.

2. If I fertilize my lawn, why should I use a phosphorus-free fertilizer?
Phosphorus from fertilizers runs off lawns and ends up in area lakes and wetlands where it promotes algae growth. Algae can turn a blue lake green and damage or kill the lake's Eco-system.

3. How can I tell if a fertilizer is phosphorus-free?
The make-up of all fertilizers is indicated by a series of three numbers on the package. The middle number indicates the amount of phosphorus the fertilizer contains. Look for a middle number of "0" to be sure you are buying a phosphorus free fertilizer.

4. If phosphorus poses a threat to lakes and wetlands, why is it in fertilizers in the first place?

In some parts of the country, soils need phosphorus to sustain healthy plant development -- but that's not true in Oregon. Oregon soils are generally rich in phosphorus. In fact, the soil in Marion County has high or very high levels of phosphorus, according to a study conducted by Oregon State Parks. The study showed that levels were so high the vast majority of lawns tested did not need any phosphorus.

5. How do I know if my soil needs fertilizer? If it does, how do I determine what kind to use?

A soil test will give you a nutrient profile of your soil. Armed with this information, you can buy the fertilizer that will work best for your lawn. Soil test kits are easy to use and available at local Nurseries.

6. If I don't live near a lake, stream or wetland should I be concerned about using phosphorus-free fertilizer?
Yes! No matter where you live in Aumsville, run-off from lawn flows into the storm sewer system. The storm sewer system empties directly into our local water bodies.

Contact Public Works at 503 749-1185

Dial 811
Oregon Utility Notification Center
If you plan to dig, you are required by law to notify owners of underground utilities at least two business days in advance. Call the number below to have underground gas lines (and other participating utilities’ lines) located at no charge to you.

Back to content | Back to main menu